Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cabinet Door Upcycle

One of my friends asked if I wanted some cabinet doors (of different sizes) to possibly make something out of....


uh........   YEA!

I've mentioned before that there is attic space above our garage that stores many treasures.  

(Definition of Treasures:  wood, old doors, windows, columns, trim....  )

I decided to take a peek at those treasures yesterday to see if I could come up with something fun to make for the store.
(I must have been in a creative mood.... Deb kept making fun of my Craft Day!  HA!)

Here is what I came up with.....




I painted and distressed the outer part of the door with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and then used chalk board paint for the middle.
I thought it needed something else, so I added the wording GROCERY LIST to the top.
(This size is roughly 18"x28".)



I loved the look of this door already, so I just sanded it and added the three hooks.








 These are two smaller chalkboards that I ended up chalk painting the outer edge 
and then chalk board paint....

I wanted to try something new with the two last doors that I brought inside for "Craft Day."


After chalk painting in Old White, I installed two handles, 
one on each side, to make a serving tray.  


 When not in use, they are great to display.


This was only my second attempt to try transferring images onto wood using Mod Podge.

I found a graphic that I loved from The Graphics Fairy...  I painted a border on the door black and blue!
I'm not the best at transferring yet, but like a lot of people, I love how it looks more distressed!!!



All of these items are for sale under the 
SHOP FOR TATTERED TREASURES TAB!

Danelle

Linking up with The Graphics Fairy - Brag Monday!
and
Shades of Amber
Shades of Amber

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I found your blog Danelle. I posted a picture over at From My Front Porch and found you through there. You have some great ideas! How do you get the birds onto the cabinet door? Is the graphic from the Graphic Fairy site?

    I hope you can go take a look at my blog. I haven't been doing this too long. www.kimskottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the birds you added! So pretty and the grocery list is just perfect! Coming over from Brag Monday and a happy new follower!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you transfer the birds onto the door? Please advise.
    Thank you
    daubin56@yahoo.com

    I love they way they look, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!!! I chalk painted the color I want. Then I use mod podge on the door… lay the picture you want transferred - print side down- and put another layer of mod podge on it. You HAVE to leave it alone for 8 hours. (truly it won't work)…. Then lay a very wet towel on top of the paper…. and slowly start rubbing the paper away. It looks very distressed because it isn't a PERFECT transfer! Let me know your outcome if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thank you so much for leaving a comment!